Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Where's My Rose?




“A single flow'r he sent me, since we met.

All tenderly his messenger he chose;

Deep-hearted, pure, with scented dew still

wet -

One perfect rose.

. . .

Why is it no one ever sent me yet

One perfect limousine, do you suppose?

Ah no, it's always just my luck to get

One perfect rose.”

I know just how Dorothy Parker felt. It’s not that I’m greedy or expect unearned riches to shower down on my head, but over the years, I’ve heard stories. A writer mentions Godiva chocolates in his book and the company sends him a big box of assorted bonbons. Another states that her character wears a certain perfume and a FedEx truck rolls up with a quart of it. The character of yet another is a huge fan of a certain rock group and the group’s manager sends tickets to the next show that plays in her city.

Are the stories true? Who knows? But I can’t help wondering if this is why so many writers fill their books with brand names—Manolo Blanik, Calvin Klein, Louis Vuitton, Birkin, etc.

I have mentioned Jaguars, Cadillacs, and T-Birds in my books. Has anyone ever sent me one? Ha!

The only time my books have ever triggered a freebie is when I mentioned that Colleton County barbecue enthusiasts lace their barbecue with Texas Pete. About six months after that book was was published, a member of the Texas Pete family sent me a dozen bottles.

My next book mentioned diamonds. Could a Tiffany bracelet be far behind?

Yes. (Way behind!)

Oh, but wait! I’m forgetting. I did get a car from one of my readers.

The Christmas after High Country Fall came out, a black sports car arrived, a replacement for the one Deborah wrecked up in the mountains. It was a present from my mountain guide and ur-mystery enthusiast Kaye Barley.

Okay, it’s only three inches long, but it looks perfectly adorable on our Christmas tree and it means more to me than any full-size car could.

But if Godiva wants me to keep plugging their chocolates . . . just sayin’.

Blog Archive