Sunday, October 3, 2010

CHRISTMAS IN OCTOBER


Outside, leaves are beginning to show a faint hint of fall’s changing colors. My summer flowers are still blooming profusely, roses are still sending out new buds, and even the magnolia has decided it could get in another few fragrant blossoms.

Inside, it’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

Or so I hope.

A videographer is coming this morning to film a trailer for Christmas Mourning, which is due out in November. I will talk about Christmas in Deborah Knott’s Colleton County and I’m hoping I’ve scattered enough candles and greenery around to set the mood. I’m trusting that the camera’s eye will not stray to the windows where trees in full leaf can still be seen nor note that there is no fire burning on the hearth.

But I do love Christmas and even though it’s October, I will enjoy talking about the holiday season and getting a small preview of December. I may tell how tangerines will always be the smell of Christmas morning for me. That was the only time we had them when I was a child. My mother used to put at least two in each stocking because they took up so much space she hoped we might not notice how little Santa had left us. In the book, Kezzie Knott has his own memory of Christmas tangerines and it involves the best mule he ever owned. I hope it will make you laugh and call up your own holiday memories.


Blog Archive