Sunday, May 16, 2010

That's DOCTOR Maron, if you please!

On Friday, my alma mater, the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, gave me a Doctor of Letters, honoris causa. For those of you who don't read Latin, that honoris causa is rather like the asterisk that appears after the names of certain sports figures to signify that the person achieved this status under more favorable conditions than those who did it the hard way -- such as pitchers who don't have to hit, or who racked up the points in overtime, or before drug testing. Not that I value it any less for its being honorary, but never having graduated from college, I did think I should have had an honorary B.A. first. If you want to see me in a cap and gown, go to http://www.uncg.edu/ure/news/stories/2010/may/SpringCommencement051410.htm

The people at UNCG were wonderfully attentive and thoughtful and this picture shows the lengths to which they went to make the whole experience truly memorable. It's the first time I've ever had my own reserved parking space! I cannot tell you how much I wanted to bring that cone home with me and stick it on top of a parking meter whenever I need a place to park.
















Blog Archive