Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Fog Is Lifting






Depending on which web site you believe, E.L. Doctorow has famously said of writing, 

“It's like driving a car at night in the fog. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.”


Implicit in that statement is that the lights will stay on as you drive and will keep illuminating the road ahead.


I identify with that sentiment because I have never been able to outline, have never been able to see very far ahead.  However, once I pass the three-quarter mark in a new book, I can almost see the rest of the way.  As in this picture taken at the edge of my yard.  The fog is lifting and I can almost see the far woods, can almost make out the deer that I know are feeding in the lower field.


I’ll be gone for the next two weeks.  Back on the 23rd.  By then, I hope the ending of Sand Sharks will be as crystalline clear as a sunshiny day.

 


Blog Archive